In this episode, Digital Mitthyl shares the importance of having a Brand Website, Shared a few tips and tricks for choosing the platforms to build your website, and points to remember to build your website on your own.
Learn the Art of Building Your Website
Everything You Need To Know To DIY Your Small Business Website
While you may want to hire a website designer or developer down the road, it can be an expensive investment. Whether you are just starting your business, or on a tight budget, DIYing your website is a great solution.
Follow this process to create your small business website.
To Start, Choose Your Website Platform
Here are three of the most popular:
1. Squarespace. Squarespace is a website platform known for its user-friendly interface and modern website design templates. Squarespace’s websites are built through block-style building (you drag and drop blocks into columns and rows). That might limit you if you want to do any out-of-the-box design.
2. Wix. Wix is a platform made for small business owners who want an easy solution. While the website-building process is simple, Wix lacks the functionality and customization you can find on platforms like Squarespace and WordPress. Choose Wix if you want to get a basic website up quickly. Custom design and animations are limited.
3. Self-Hosted WordPress. WordPress is more flexible than Squarespace or Wix.
You download the WordPress software and install it on your web server. It may require a bit more technical knowledge… but ultimately WordPress allows more flexibility.
Before you choose your website platform, think about your website goals in the short and long term.
Squarespace and Wix might be the best options.
Will you want a more customized design down the line?
Then WordPress might be the best solution for your business.
Creating Your Website
1. Decide which pages you want to have on your website. Start by listing the pages you’ll want on your website. You can have a single landing page, or a standard 5-page website.
- Home. This page should give visitors a clear idea of what you do and how you can help them.
- About. Show your business’s story. Talk about how your company pursues its mission through photos and words.
- Services or Products. This page will feature ways that customers can buy from your business!
- Blog. A blog can be a place for your business to post news updates, informative articles, or other content for visitors to browse.
- Contact. This page informs customers about how to get in touch with you. If you have a physical location, this page should include your address and a map showing your location.
Creating Your Website
3. Keep branding consistent. Over time, you want your branding to be recognizable. Choose your website colors and easy-to-read typography before building the website.
4. Write website copy. What words do you want on the website? The words on your website will be a core part of visitors’ experience with your brand. Here are some top tips to keep in mind when writing your website copy:
- Benefits first. At the top of each page, include a headline with the benefits your customers get when they purchase from your business. Place your benefits “above-the-fold” (Ensure that your benefits are visible before someone starts scrolling).
- Position your business as an authority. Think of your customers as the hero, and your business as the guide who knows the solution to their problems. Write copy with that relationship in mind.
- End every page with a call-to-action (CTA). What do you want visitors to do when they reach the bottom of your page? End each page with a clear, final CTA encouraging them to take the next step.
- Write skimmable website copy. Break text into smaller paragraphs, use columns and bullets.
Creating Your Website
6. Optimize your website for all devices. When you are finished putting together your website, test it on a tablet and mobile device.
Having a website for potential customers to learn about your business is essential in today’s modern world! Get your company’s story online so that potential customers can search for, learn about, and connect with your business.
Want to Build Your Business on Instagram?
- Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: Digital Mitthyl
- Want to learn for FREE regarding Digital Marketing, Content Creation, Entrepreneurship, Personal Branding etc, then Join my FREE Facebook Community: Digital Mitthyl
1 thought on “Episode 072 : Everything You Need To Know To DIY Your Small Business Website | Digital Mitthyl | Self Made Entrepreneur Program”
Every word u said about how to create a website is a learning. Thank You for this insights.